By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Built for Almonds, a Legacy in Grain, a Future in Wine
The Almond Grower’s building has been a landmark in Paso Robles for a century.
For several years in the 1920’s-30’s, Paso Robles was considered the Almond capital of the world. During that time the Blue Diamond Almond Growers Association built this building as a processing facility. It took only 5 months to build the 11,250 square foot structure of reinforced concrete situated on 1.17 acres on Riverside Avenue, perfectly located in between the town’s main road and the railroad tracks. However, in the 1930’s, after a decline in crop productivity due to poor farming techniques, most Almond farmers moved north toward Sacramento and started over with new orchards and better irrigation. Consequently the facility did not have enough use for processing almonds, and was sold in 1936 to the Farmer’s Alliance Business Association to be used for the area’s new principal crop; wheat. It functioned as a grainery for over 30 years before falling into a long spell of disuse.
In 2010, Ray and Pam Derby purchased the building and spent 4 years restoring it utilizing the Department of the Interior’s adaptive reuse standards for historical buildings. Today it is a beautiful and functional winery housing our tasting room, production facility and wine club lounge at the top of the tower. A visit to the club lounge reveals a new perspective on Paso Robles, with 360 degree views of the downtown area and surrounding hillsides from the city’s tallest building.