By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
This warm, flavorful dish is perfect for the colder months. Poulet Grand-mère is a true comfort food that can be served with crisp potatoes or over egg noodles. The rich and earthy flavors from the bacon, mushrooms and herbs makes this a lovely pairing with our 2019 Fifteen 10 White, or our 2018 Pinot Noir. This dish can also be made in a Dutch oven.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of red currant jelly
- one dozen button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound thin-cut bacon strips
- 1/2 pound cubed smoked ham
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots
- Dredge the chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat, add chicken and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- In a large heavy stock pot, add wine, chicken broth, tomato paste, thyme, and jelly. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Add in the cooked chicken and mushrooms and cook for 15 min.
- In the skillet cook bacon until crisp, remove to paper towels. Cook garlic, shallots and ham in bacon fat for 3 min. Combine the garlic, shallots and ham in the stock pot.. Stir together ingredients.
- Serve 1 piece of chicken to each plate adding sauce to each plate. Top with crispy bacon.